Saturday, October 21, 2017
The History of Bridgeport Central High School

Central High School, originally Bridgeport High School, was organized in the three rooms on the upper floor of the Prospect Street school in the fall of 1876, It consisted of seventy-four members, with three teachers, Charles Peck, Frances Marble and Mary Miner.

In 1882 a new high school was built on Congress Street on the present site of Bridgeport Police Headquarters. (Just above red star)

By 1916 increased enrollment necessitated a larger building, which was located nearby at the top of Golden Hill, on Lyon Terrace, the present site of City Hall (where red star is).

Note the Wheeler Mansion (on this 1875 map) to the left which was knocked down with the building of Rte. 25


The old Bridgeport High School on Congress Street (built in 1882) which you can see across the street, served as an annex for the new Central High School (present day City Hall) until it burned down in 1948.

Central was housed in the present day City Hall from 1916 to 1964.


In 1963-64 our present day building was built and opened in September, 1964