Construction began in the fall of 2009 and is slated for completion during the 2011-12 school year. Enrollment will be open to students ages 3 to13 from Bridgeport and the surrounding communities with a targeted mix of 70% urban and 30% suburban students. Once fully populated, this school will serve approximately 500 children.
Unique Educational Opportunity for Greater Bridgeport
This magnet school represents an important educational opportunity for greater Bridgeport. Not only will it provide a high quality educational choice for students living in the city, it will also give suburban students a chance to take part in specialized programs not available in their home districts. Because of its planned location within Veteran’s Memorial Park, environmental stewardship will be an overarching theme of the school, its facility and program. In addition, the school’s proximity to The Discovery Museum will open up countless opportunities for exciting collaborations between the Discovery Magnet School, the Discovery Museum and the larger community. Examples of these potential collaborations include:
• Special enrichment activities for students and adults taught either by school faculty or museum staff that take advantage of the unique resources of each;
• Ongoing “citizen scientist” programs that engage students and the community with the natural environment of the surrounding 90 acre urban park in a thoughtful and informed way;
• Showcase events and exhibits at the Museum that feature student work and complement the school’s curriculum;
• Joint learning festivals and fairs run by students, school faculty, and museum staff meant to educate and inform people about science issues affecting their daily lives (health, environment, technology, etc.);
• Curriculum projects developed jointly by school faculty and museum staff that are piloted with magnet school students and then shared with the larger educational community.
Copyright©2011 The Discovery Museum & Planetarium, 4450 Park Avenue, Bridgeport CT 06604 | 203-372-3521
Museum website by Evergreen Studios | www.egstudios.us | contact the museum