Black Rock Elementary School is located in one of the historic sections of Bridgeport, CT. The first public Black Rock School was built in 1841 and was located at the intersection of Grovers Avenue and Black Rock Avenue. It was a one-room structure heated by a Franklin Stove. In later years the Franklin Stove was replaced with a pot bellied stove. The students sat on planked benches. These benches were drawn closer to the stove on cold, winter days. It was customary at that time to have two door entrances - one for the boys and one for the girls.The second public Black Rock School was built circa 1865 at the intersection of Brewster Street and Grovers Avenue. It was a two story brown frame building with a belfry. Originally all eight grades were taught there, four grades on each floor. An annual event was all grades posing for their school pictures.The present Black Rock School site was built in 1905. In 1911, a wing was added to accommodate the growing number of students. For many years, it was customary for elementary schools to have a fife and drum corp. Black Rock School was the first school in Bridgeport to have a band consisting of numerous brass and percussion instruments.After fire damaged the school, it was renovated and a rededication program was held May 13, 1977. Subsequently, Black Rock School was renovated again, which brought the school up to present day standards and high technology usage for the school population. The rededication program was held October 24, 1993. We have computers in every classroom. Our grades are K-6. The school reflects the interests, talents, and decor appropriate for the age group. You will find our school warm and inviting with the hum of learning throughout the building.
****The history of our lighthouse**** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Black Rock Harbor Light Bridgeport, Connecticut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Built: 1832 Decommissioned:1932 This 41-foot octagonal stone tower replaced the original 1809 wooden tower and is located on the south end of Fayerweather Island where it guided ships into Black Rock Harbor. Since 1983 the Friends of Seaside Park have restored the light's appearance and helped protect it against vandalism.