Read School is named to honor the memory of David F. Read who from 1890 to 1910 served the city as a faithful and efficient member of the Bridgeport Board of Education. Shortly after his death in 1915, Read School was constructed on its North Avenue location. The old Read School was torn down in 1968 to make way for the Route 8/25 Connector. The new building at its current location opened in February of 1968. In 1999, Read School under went a major renovation when a new cafeteria, 6 classrooms, and three offices were added to the existing building.