Dear Kindergarten Families,
Welcome to Edison School! We are glad to have you join our classroom.
It is going to be and exciting year and we are looking forward to sharing it with your child.
1. Please drop your child off in back of the school by 8:30 a.m. daily. Encourage your child to attend every day. Our kindergartners accomplish a lot in a day. Your child being absent for even one day could limit their academic progress. Please be aware that 3 tardies to school = 1 absence. If your child is absent from school, a note from home is required for the absence to be excused.
2. Do not leave your child at school unattended. I will come out to pick them up daily. Please do not bring them into the classroom. We need time to set up the day’s activities. If the weather is bad students may wait in the cafeteria.
3. Dismissal is at 3:00 p.m. promptly. If you can not be there on time make other arrangements for your child to be picked up. Also, do not pick you your child early as it is disruptive to instruction. If an emergency occurs and you need to pull your child out of class prior to dismissal, you must submit a note in writing to our building principal.
4. Please do not allow your child to bring in toys or objects to school. Sharing toys from home can be difficult tor this age and it is also very disruptive to the class. The school is not responsible for any lost or stolen toys brought from home.
5. Every child needs a backpack, lunchbox, homework folder, box of crayons and box of tissues. All other school supplies will be provided. The first homework folder has been supplied for you. Please replace it, if and when necessary. All important notices and homework will be sent home in your child’s homework folder.
6. Please send a snack and juice daily. Due to many food allergies in our school, sharing is not allowed. We have snack every afternoon except on half days. Please no candy, gum or glass bottles!
7. Have your child dress in their uniforms daily. Edison School uniform colors are: khaki bottoms and black, white or royal blue shirts.
8. Gym day is __________. Please make sure your child wears sneakers on gym days. Students may also wear sweatpants and sweatshirts or plain t-shirts in school colors on these days.
9. Please be aware; Kindergarten has changed dramatically over the years. District policy states that in order for a child to be promoted to 1st grade, he/she must reach a DRA (Developmental Reading Assessment) of level 4. If they do not reach level 4 by June, summer school will be required in order to be considered for promotion.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call me at (203) 275-2253. We are looking forward to a great year!